"If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon" - Emil Zatopek

Thursday, June 9, 2011

What's Hotter Than Florida? Charlotte (Apparently)

For this addition we play a little a catch up and we will be centered around training (Heads up:  Next week will be on training too).  After exchanging emails with my coach, I had my new plan in hand, and as promised, we would be stepping it up.  There is no race on the schedule until June 18th so I will be focused on training and trying to improve. 


Week of May 23rd - 29th
This week consisted of 3 Easy Runs, 3 Stress Runs, and trip to Jacksonville, Fl for Memorial Day Weekend.  The scheduled stress runs were as follows:
               Stress 1:  5 x .75 mile in 4:15 – 4:20 w/.5 mile jog  rec (1 mile warm-up &cool-down)
                         Results:  (4:17, 4:17, 4:18, 4:21, 4:22)
               Stress 2:  6 mile Tempo run @ 6:30-6:45 pace (1 mile warm-up and cool-down)
                          Results: 6 miles @ 6:36 plus W/u & C/d
               Stress 3:  12-14 miles easy pace
                          Result: 14 miles @ 7:56 pace
This week it was starting to get hot and it impacted some of the workouts.  However the long run was in Jacksonville Beach, Fl (click here for Family photos) and this was hottest and most exposed. 
House in Ponte Vedra
I got a little sunburned on the run (who knew you needed sunscreen in Florida) and after seeing some nice houses when I ran in to Ponte Vedra (Home of TPC Sawgrass), I was quite bored because they all looked the same.  The roads were flat and straight so I could see forever.  I was ready to be done.  However, I would like to thank the house in Jax Beach that had the free water out by the street.  That was much needed on the return run when my water supply was running low. 
Total Mileage: 45.9 on 6 runs





Week of May 30th - June 5th
We returned from the beach on Monday, and I was ready for a break from the heat of Jacksonville. But when we got home and I looked at the weather for Charlotte it was going to be in the upper 90s all week (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot).   I quickly checked to make sure I was not looking at Jacksonville weather and confirmed I was not. Jacksonville was locked in to mid-80s and I was ready to head South for cooler weather. But alas this did not happen.  In addition to the heat I was also exhausted from the trip because sleeping with a family of four in hotel room with a loud A/C had not worked out well for me.  Also I did enjoy several adult beverages during the trip, and I was feeling the residual effects.  Still I managed through the week's workouts.

Adult Beverages!

Running Schedule:
3 Easy runs of 5-6 miles @ 7:30-8:30 pace
1 Recovery day:  rest or 2-3 mile jog
3 Stress Workouts

Stress 1:  10 x .25 mile @ 80-84 with .25 mile jog recovery (1 mile warm-up and cool-down)
        Results: 82,82,83,83,82,82,83,83,83,82
Stress 2:  5 x 1 mile @ 6:00-6:15 with .25 mile jog recovery (1 mile warm-up and cool-down)
        Results: 6:11, 6:09, 6:10, 6:11, 6:11

Stress 3:  10-12 miles steady state (7:00-7:20 pace)
        Results: 11.6 @ 7:06 pace

The first two runs were done in the evening heat and it sucked.  But glad it is over. On to next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment