"If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon" - Emil Zatopek

Friday, June 3, 2011

Great Harvest Bread Co. 5K – May 21st, 2011

This week I am back to racing.   This was an early wake up for a Saturday as the race was in South Charlotte and had a 7:30 AM start time.  I was slow to get out of bed but finally got moving.  While going through my pre-race morning routine of breakfast, coffee, bib pinning, etc, I hear Angela waking up Jacob.  It was about 6:30AM and Jacob’s immediate response was, “But it’s Saturday!”  He was running the race too, and I could tell he was well rested and ready to go.  We continued our preparation to leave, and true to form, we were running late.

Pink Palace
After about 25 minutes of driving, we made it down south and parked at Calvary Church (formerly the Pink Palace),  and from there it was a quick jog over to the starting line.  With only 15 minutes to spare, I was feeling the time crunch. I pulled on the Charlotte Running Club racing singlet (which Angela and Jacob are both embarrassed to be around me when I am wearing due to its revealing nature) and racing flats, got the stroller out of the car, and grabbed Jacob and we were off.  As we started the jog to pick up our time chips, Jacob asked if we were going to run the whole way, and I said yes.  Then wondered how in to this race Jacob was going to be.  We had our chips attached to our shoes with about 8 minutes to spare to I proceeded the starting line and tried to get in a couple of strides and some warm up running but time was short. I wished Jacob good luck and we both began our warm up routines. The warm up consisted of about .75 miles so a little short, but you have to play the cards you are dealt.

Prior to the race, I mentally reviewed my race plan, which was to go out around 5:50 (a little hilly on the first mile), pick it up for mile two (downhill and flat), and give whatever was left for the 3rd mile which would hopefully be a little faster.  The baby joggers are off and one minute until go time.  Runners take your mark, and we were off. 

First part of the race is uphill, followed by a downhill, but mostly up after that. I started a little fast but got into a good groove.  First thing, this race was interesting because there were a lot of people including young kids who were out in a sub-6 minute mile pace, and held it for a solid 3/10 of mile.  But they dropped back after that.
 I was on pace for my 5:50 mile.  I was passing some of those who went out to fast, and then I began to close on Alice Rogers and Lat Purser.  Alice consistently is 1st or 2nd overall for the women, and Lat and she usually are about 30-45 seconds faster than me.  As I was closing in on them, I began to reconsider my race plan.  Should I really be running this fast?  Do they know more about this course than I do?  So I backed off my pace a bit and stayed behind them.  The first mile was tough, but not too tough, and I clicked it off in 6:00 flat.  Through the 2nd mile I continued to pass people and stay behind, Alice and Lat.  As is typical I was running by myself.  There is no grouping unless you are in the faster group in the lead or further behind.  However, this race would prove to be different.  A guy pulls up beside me and I had someone to run with.  Additionally, I liked this guy because he got the pre-race memo on what to wear.  He was sporting the same red CRC Singlet and navy blue running shorts (See photos below).  We picked it up on the 2nd mile and were now closing on Alice, Lat and few others who had put a little distance in between.  Fellow red singlet says, let’s catch that group and we moved.  2nd mile 5:47.  But then came the 3rd mile which was a lot rolling hills.  We held close to the group but we would not be able to make the pass.  We followed them through the hills and then finally made it the last downhill.  I picked up the pace on the downhill but unfortunately at the bottom of the hill there is one last hairpin turn into a parking lot for about 150 meter finish. The last mile I gave it all I had, but clicked a 5:53.
Nice outfit
Me Finishing
I finished the last .15 at 5:41 pace for an 18:31. That was good enough for 21st OA, 2nd AG.  In retrospect, I wish I had not deviated from my plans. I am not sure what effect it would have had on my time, but during the race is no time to be playing mind games.

I regrouped and headed back out to find Jacob.  On the way, I saw Ang and Lily so I waited with them until Jacob passed.  He looked to be in great shape as he made the turn in front of us.  I jumped in and ran the last .5 mile with him.  As we climbed the last hill, and began the downhill, I could tell he had a lot left in the tank so I asked if he was ready to pick it up and he said yes.  Then I said let’s see how many people we can pass.  We started to move and passed a group of 5 then there were singles we started to pick off.  As we made the hairpin turn into the parking lot, Jacob kicked it.  I pulled off and watched him move to the finish.  The crowd cheered as he ran by.  Moving to the finish line, Jacob weaved through a few more runners, and for the 2nd time in 3 races, nearly took out the blind runner (I think a little coaching is in order here), and finished with a solid time.  All totaled 12 runners were passed in the last portion of the race.  Nicely done.

We stayed around for the awards ceremony and for my age group award I received two oven mitts and two bread ties.  Not the most prestigious of awards but quite practical.

In general, the race course had lots of turns and hills and on top of that, I believe it measured a tad long which did not lend itself to a new PR. After the race I was a little frustrated because at the end of last year I was seeing a PR after every race, but I seem to have plateaued.  As I result, I sent a note to my coach asking what I could be doing differently.  His response was something to the effect of you have had enough time to recover nicely from your last marathon, now try this training plan on for size. More to come on that.

The End

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to point out that 1. I was the first one ready! 2. Really?? He almost took him out again?? 3. Regardless of how you thought you did, you still took 2 minutes off your time from last year right?

    Great job! I like the oven mitts and bread clips! I look forward to learning additional insights from future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you posted a picture, walt. when you said "singlet", i was thinking of those wrestling singlets (the shorts and shirt all in one piece) and was thinking - YIKES!!!! i continue to be a big fan of making the races a family event - love it! love it! and good job, jacob! i'm so proud of you!
    ps. i have been stalking your running coach and he is now ignoring me. i am dying to run again and thought maybe just TALKING to him about how much i will be running soon might make me feel better...he hasn't responded to my last email. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same about the singlet. Not nearly as revealing as I expected. Is "blind runner" a running term or was he literally blind? If so, Jacob can't let a blind person beat him! No offense to the blind population.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel - He is probably just absorbing the excitement and anticipation through the email and sometimes that takes awhile.

    Britt- The guy running is literally blind and runs with walking stick and Jacob seems to be drawn to the guy.

    Mel & Britt - I will now be looking for a comfortable one piece singlet to run in. Ang and Jacob thank you in advance for the idea.

    ReplyDelete