"If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon" - Emil Zatopek

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Training Update: Aug 8 - 21

August 8th -14th

Most of this week was spent at Hilton Head Island. It was fantastic to be away from work for awhile and to be able to spend time with the family on the beach. That is basically all we did and I loved it.



Straight Up Chillin'


Straight Up Nappin'


Straight Up Momin' It




The training runs were nice because of the scenery change and they were incredibly flat. I also saw deer one morning which is always cool. However, even though I was up early, I don't think it was every much below 80 and the humidity was high but I have gotten used to that. Saturday was a 15 mile long run in Charlotte and I ran the 2nd half of the Thunder Road Marathon course. I hate I will not be able to run that marathon this year as it thoroughly kicked my ass last December and I want revenge. But it will come in due time.

Total mileage: 51


Aug 15 - 21st

The weather cooled a bit and I was able to enjoy some runs in the 60s. Oh, I can't wait for more weather like this. Below are the stress workouts which I was successful in achieving goals.

Stress 1: 10 x .25 mile @ 77-81 pace with .25 mile jog recovery (1 mile warm-up & cool-down)
Stress 2: 3.5 mile Progression Tempo run starting at 6:30 and finishing at near 6:00 pace (1-2 mile warm-up and cool-down)
Stress 3: 11-12 miles steady state (7:00-7:20 pace)
I really enjoy the Steady state runs as they are still long but at a nice quick pace. I will also add the 6th .25 mile on my interval work, I accidentally dropped a 74 second run. Whoops! Sunday of this week, I was totally TKO'ed with some sort of illness. It was a struggle to get out of bed and felt nauseous all day on Sunday. But as quickly as it came, it was gone.

I'm looking forward to next week as I prep for the Greekfest 5k and I hope to finally break the 18 mark and then I begin my specific phase training for the Richmond Marathon. Wahoo!!!

1 comment: